When this error happens, “Outlook data file cannot be accessed” you can’t send or receive emails and Outlook. This error is normally the result of a damaged Outlook profile or when you transfer the Outlook PST file. This error is also said as Error 0x8004010F. There are various ways to fix this issue and make Outlook identify the data files.
Before mentioning the manual method to fix outlook data files cannot be accessed error, have a look into different reasons for this error.
Reasons of error Outlook Data File Cannot Be Accessed
Several concerns interrupt the Outlook data file in use and cannot be accessed. Some of the reasons are mentioned below:
- Outlook PST data files are at the incorrect place.
- Outlook data files are transferred to another location.
- It may occur after upgrading the current Outlook.
- Outlook profile is not being examined.
- Corrupted Outlook program files.
- Due to no internet or unstable network connection.
How Do You Fix Outlook Data File Cannot Be Accessed?
Let’s start with several methods that you should follow to fix the error of the Outlook PST cannot be accessed or Outlook data file cannot be opened. In this blog, we will discuss the manual and professional approaches to fix the error.
Method 1. Manual Approach
Method 2. Professional Approach to Fix Outlook Data File Cannot Be Accessed Error
#1. Manual Approach to Fix Outlook Data File Cannot Be Opened
#1. By Profile Method
- First, open Outlook then, visit Account settings.
- Go to the email tab and highlight the account with the difficulties. Then hit on “Change folder”
- Now tap on the New Outlook data file and generate a temporary data file.
- Register a new name for your data file and hit the OK button.
- After that expand the folders and choose Inbox. Click ok to terminate the dialog box and visit behind to Account settings.
- In account settings again tap on the Change folder
- Re-select the accurate data file and folder that you need for your email message and then select OK.
- Now, switch back to the data files and extract the temporary PST file from the folder.
- Close the dialog box of account settings and tap the send or receive option.
Finally, with these easy steps, you can fix the error “Outlook data file cannot be accessed”.
#2. Configure New Outlook as Default
- First, On the Mail dialog box, tap on the “General” tab.
- After that, select “Always use this profile” and choose the recently created profile.
- At last, click on the ‘OK’ button to end the Mail dialog box.
#3. Repair Outlook Data File
All the elements in Outlook, just as email messages, events, contacts, tasks, etc. are stored in PST file format. Though, these files may get corrupt due to various reasons. So, it can also be the factor of this error “Outlook data file cannot be accessed 2016”. You can repair such PST files with the help of the Inbox Repair Tool. Follow the instructions to do so.
- In Outlook 2016, open the below-mentioned location.
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\root\Office16
- Find ScanPST.exe and launch it on your system.
- Browse the file that you require to repair and click the “Start” button to review the file.
- Once the review process is completed, hit the “Repair” key to repair the file.
Note: If you want to create a backup of that file, then you need to check the box “Make a backup of scanned file before repairing”
The File will be repaired soon, If you are unable to repair the PST file, then we suggest a professional method to repair the file. If you follow the manual method, then you are able to fix the Outlook data file can not be accessed. Besides, the manual steps can increase inconsistency issues and data loss.
Method 2. Professional Approach to Fix Outlook Data File Cannot Be Found
Sometimes with the manual approach, it can’t be possible to recover the PST file. Moreover, we suggest you use a professional method to do so, and it is 100% effective and prominent. The tool named Cigati Outlook Email Recovery is one of the most widely used tools for Outlook recovery. Outlook Email Recovery has various features that execute repetitious works at a time and safely recover corrupt and damaged Outlook PST files. The software recovery mode option accommodates adding a PST file and begins the scanning process after that shows the corrupted emails of Outlook mailbox. This utility is equipped with different key features. Some of them are:
Key Features of Cigati Outlook Email Recovery Tool
- Enables users to recover all MS Outlook data elements along with Emails, contacts, calendars, etc.
- Using Outlook Mailbox Recovery stores recovered Outlook emails as various file formats like EML, MSG, MBOX, DBX, and new PST files.
- Capable to repair Outlook emails with their attachments too.
- Within the utility, no restrictions for PST File size, it can recover up to more than 80 GB PST Files.
- Highly developed with an advanced algorithm to support PST files of all MS Outlook Versions.
Within the blog, we have addressed the error and reason and solution Fix Outlook Data File Cannot Be Accessed Error. Moreover, we have mentioned different manual solutions to fix the issue. Besides, recommend a tool to reduce the inconsistency and data loss during fixing the error.