Lotus Notes is an enterprise email program used by many organizations to send and receive email messages. It is a desktop-based application that uses the .nsf extension to save emails, contacts, addresses, etc. This email service comes with a set of inbuilt features that enables the users to configure the system as a web server along with the email communication.
But still, many organizations want to transfer Lotus Notes emails to Outlook. So, in this technical guide, we will discuss the common reasons behind the Lotus Notes to Outlook migration and the simplest way to perform this conversion that will be helpful for you. Now, let’s discuss the reasons why users want to import Lotus Notes to Outlook application.
Why Do Users Want to Transfer Lotus Notes Emails to Outlook?
There could be multiple reasons behind migrating Lotus Notes to Outlook application. Amongst them, a few of them are listed below go through with them.
- The maintenance cost of Lotus Notes is higher than Outlook.
- Users cannot configure multiple accounts in Lotus Notes.
- Lotus does not allow users to access their emails offline.
- It will be difficult for the novice user to access the Lotus Notes account.
- Outlook is worthwhile as compared to Lotus Notes.
- Lotus Notes has a higher maintenance cost than Outlook.
- It has fewer security features than Microsoft Outlook.
After recognizing all the reasons to transfer Lotus Notes emails to Outlook, now proceed ahead towards the best suitable method for the same. In the below section, we have discussed all the possible approaches to migration.
Native Method to Migrate Lotus Notes to Outlook
There are enough multiple reasons for the users to transfer Lotus Notes emails to Outlook application. Lotus Notes supports NSF file format that cannot be accessed directly into Outlook. Thus, in this section, we have to convert NSF file to CSV and then import that file into the Outlook application. So we have split the process into two parts. You have to follow the steps of each part in a stepwise manner.
Part 1: Convert NSF File to CSV Format Using IBM Lotus Notes
This part explains the complete process to export NSF file to CSV file format. For this, you have to follow the given below process in a step-by-step process.
- Firstly, Run the Lotus Notes application on your system.
- Now, locate the File tab and tap on the Open options.
- Here expand the Open options and choose the IBM Notes applications.
- Then, press the Browse button to select the NSF File from the system.
- Choose the NSF File and hit the Select button.
- After that, from the open application wizard, press the Open button.
- Again click on the File tab and select the Export option.
- At last, enter the File name and change the saving option to Comma Separated Value.
By following the adobe process, you have successfully converted the NSF files into the CSV format. Now, in the next part, you have to migrate CSV into Outlook to convert it into the PST format.
Part 2: Migrate the exported CSV File to Microsoft Outlook
Now, in this part, you have imported the exported CSV file into the PST file format. So, follow the complete process using a step-by-step process.
- Launch the desktop-based Outlook application on your PC or system.
- Navigate the File tab and choose the Open & Export tab.
- Select the Import/Export tab to transfer the CSV file into Microsoft Outlook.
- In the Import and Export wizard, select Import from another or program option and tap on the Next button.
- Now, choose the Comma Separated Value option and press the Next button.
- Here click on the Browse button to add the exported CSV file tap on the Ok button.
- Hit the Next button to continue the process.
- Finally, select the Destination Path for the converted CSV file and click on the Next button.
- At last, tick the Given Checkbox and hit the Finish button.
Using the above parts, users can successfully convert a CSV file to PST format. Although the process is not direct, it transfer Lotus Notes emails to Outlook application. Besides, it also has some drawbacks that we have given below:
- Users cannot directly export Lotus Notes to Outlook.
- It is quite a complicated process for novice users. They require technical expertise to follow the above process.
- The above manual process is very lengthy and time-consuming.
- The process is very lengthy and consumes more effort and time for the users.
To overcome all the above-listed drawbacks users are looking for the best suitable alternative to directly transfer Lotus Notes emails to Outlook. Hence, we have introduced the professional NSF to PST Converter tool. It is the top-rated utility that Lotus Notes NSF files to multiple file formats such as Outlook PST, EML, PDF, MSG, MBOX, HTML, MHTML, etc. Besides, the software also migrate Lotus Notes NSF file to Gmail, Yahoo Mail, Office 365, Live Exchange, AOL, etc. Also, this utility converts the encrypted NSF files effectively.
This technical guide summarizes two different methods to transfer Lotus Notes emails to Outlook PST format. Except this, we have mentioned several reasons that are responsible for the Lotus Notes to Outlook migration. However, the manual process has many drawbacks due to which users are looking for an instant solution, and we have provided the same. So, we recommend users use the expert’s advice to migrate Lotus Notes to Outlook for quick and secure conversion of the Lotus Notes.