If you are looking for a solution to repair corrupt VHD files with simple and reliable methods, then you are at the right page. Here you will get the step-by-step manual guide and the best automated alternative solution that is the most secure and reliable solution.
VHD is the Virtual Hard Disk Drive file format. Also, its primary purpose is to back up a system image. The hard drive data is saved in VHD file format. However, a VHD file is susceptible to corruption problems that render it unusable on a Virtual Machine. Additionally, you may erase a VHD from a virtual computer after it has served its function.
Most Common Reasons for VHD File Corruption
There are several possible reasons for the corruption of VHD files. We have mentioned some of these causes in the following parts.
1. Virus or Malware Attack
Viruses and malware may severely damage VHD files. Therefore, it is recommended to use a trustworthy antivirus application to safeguard your information from external dangers.
2. Due to Human Errors
Intentional or accidental deletion of stored data, file modification mistakes, forcible system shutdown, and inappropriate disc management are human errors that might destroy VHD files, and you need to repair corrupt VHD files.
3. Failure of Storage Media
When files become unavailable due to corruption or failure of storage media, the VHD file also becomes corrupted.
4. Hard Drive Failure
VHD data’s corruption might result from a sudden hard drive failure caused by several factors.
5. Sudden System Shutdown
If the virtual machine runs during a sudden system shutdown due to a power outage or other hardware or software fault. In that case, the VHD file may be corrupted. Consequently, it is recommended to use a power backup device to prevent a sudden system shutdown.
These are some reasons you need to recover VHD files with a secure and reliable method because these files store crucial data. In the next section, we will discuss the ways to repair corrupt VHD files.
Method 1: Restore your VHD File Using Windows PowerShell Commands
There are many ways to repair corrupt VHD files that you can perform to restore virtual hard disks after corruption issues. But all methods are not safe and secure. Here you will get the step by steps guide to scan and restore the VHD file. You need to follow all the steps in the same sequence.
- Firstly, you need to use the command to scan an image for corruption. This command helps to check the file.
Command: Dism /Online /Clean-Image /CheckHealth
- Then, the second command is used to check if an image is corrupted or not and will specify whether it can be repaired or not.
Command: Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth
- Finally, you need to give the command for repairing and restoring from the corruption that helps to perform the repair if it finds corruption automatically.
Command: Dism /Online /Clean-Image /RestoreHealth
Method 2: Fix the Corrupted VHD File by Creating a Virtual Server
There is another approach to repair corrupt VHD files by creating a virtual server. Using this method, you can save your cost, but this technique may be a bit complex for new users. If you want to get better output from this method, you must follow the steps until the end.
- Firstly, you need to create a virtual server.
- When you successfully created, connect a hard drive to it by clicking on the Settings option.
- Here browse the desired VHD file for the following process.
- Now, click on the Virtual Disk Wizard and choose a Compact.
- Then, check the box next to Convert it to fix the virtual hard disk size.
- After completing the above steps successfully, save the VHD file at the desired location on your system.
These are the two manual methods to repair corrupted VHD files. If you use these methods, you face some file recovery trouble. These methods have drawbacks because you need to acquire technical knowledge to implement these methods and many more.
Professional method to Repair Corrupt VHD File with VHD recovery tool
If you tried the manual method and faced some difficulties implementing the steps. So, to overcome all the drawbacks of this manual approach, you need to try the Cigati VHD Recovery Tool, which can quickly repair corrupt VHD files without data alteration. This VHD recovery software is helpful to restore and recover their inaccessible data from MBR & GPT formats of the hard disk. This software comes with a simple and user-friendly interface. Now, let’s discuss some extra-ordinary features of this tool:
- This VHD repair tool recovers corrupt and inaccessible VHD files.
- You can quickly recover both MBR and GPT formats of the hard disk.
- Dual scanning mode options are available such as Standard and Advanced.
- It offers three recovery modes to retrieve corrupt VHD files: Standard, Advanced, and Deep.
- It supports all the file systems like FAT, FAT16, FAT32, FAT64, NTFS, HFS+, and EXTX.
- There is No Restriction on the VHD file Size, and compatible with all the versions of the Windows Operating System.
In this blog, we have discussed the easiest way to repair corrupt VHD files in manual and professional methods. If you try a manual approach, you can face some issues due to some drawbacks. Therefore, we have provided one of the best professional alternatives to repair VHD file corruption.