We know that Gmail is a popular web-based email client that meets the needs of both individuals and organizations. However, many businesses feel Office 365 is more suitable for enterprise-level tasks. That’s why they want to migrate Gmail to Office 365. In this article, you will learn how to migrate email from Gmail to M365 using manual techniques and professional Software.
Manual Methods to Migrate email from Gmail to Office 365?
If you want to migrate Gmail to Office 365, then you need to follow all the steps very carefully. Let’s start the process from the below section.
Step 1: Check Your Own Domain
When you are going to install Office 365, then it will ask to verify your domain. You are given a TXT record to add to your domain host provider during the installation process. Select a domain registrar and complete the necessary steps.
- Must have DNS access.
- Fill out the excel spreadsheet with the first name, last name, user name, and password.
- Details regarding Gmail admin.
- Can access Office 365 administrator credentials.
- The Google MFA feature has been disabled for all users.
Step 2: Add users to Migrate Gmail to Office 365
When you want to create a user, you need a license, and each user should be allotted a mailbox. After that, you need to follow the below-mentioned steps:
- Firstly, you need to log in to Office 365 admin.
- Then, tap on Add a user or press Shift+A+U.
- Enter the user details that you want to add as a user, like a name and strong password, and click on the Next button.
- On the next screen, choose the location and product license for the user, and you can also add a user without a license and tap on the Next button.
- Here you need to choose the location and license information(optional) and tap next.
- On the next screen, you can review your information; if you need to edit, then click on the edit button; otherwise, click Finish adding.
- To confirm added users, you must visit the main admin page and check.
Note: You can follow this process if you want to add a single user at a time. To add multiple users, then follow the same steps except for some steps. Follow the below steps to know about it.
- Firstly, you need to select the Add multiple users, and you can add up to 249 users at a single time
- Here you can manually fill out each user’s details and add a CSV file.
- After that, all procedures will remain the same, as discussed above.
Step 3: Make a list of Gmail Mailboxes to Migrate Gmail to Office 365
Firstly, create a list of all Gmail users based on the Sample list acquired in the previous stage. Add users to migrate Google mail to Office 365 in batches or all at once, depending on your preference.
- Log in as an administrator to the G Suite administration console.
- On the next screen, choose either Add new user or Bulk update users.
- To add a single user, you need to manually enter their information and tap on the “Add new user” button.
- If you add many users at a time, you will have various options for entering their information. In addition, you may get the information of active users and click the Upload button.
- Once you have completed the steps, then start the migration from Gmail to Office 365.
Step 4: Connect Office 365 to Google Mail
To transfer Gmail to Office 365 properly, it must connect to Gmail. To do this, Office 365 utilizes a migration endpoint. Then, the migration endpoint is a technical term describing the connection settings necessary to move mailboxes. Follow the steps below to create the Classic Exchange admin center migration endpoint.
- Select the Admin tile inside the Classic Exchange administrative center.
- In the EAC, navigate to Recipients >> Migration >> More >> Migration Endpoints.
- Click on the New+ to establish a new migration endpoint.
- In the next panel, choose IMAP.
- On the IMAP migration setup screen, pick imap.gmail.com as the IMAP server and keep all other settings as default.
- Here click on the Next button, and the migration service checks the connection to the Gmail system using the settings.
- If the connection smoothly works, then “Enter general information” will be loaded.
- Here fill out the details of the Migration endpoint name.
- Leave the following two columns empty to utilize the default values.
- To build the migration endpoint, click New.
Step 5: Migrate Gmail to Office 365 in Classic Exchange Admin Center by Creating Migration Batch
To migrate Gmail to Office 365 in bulk at the same time, use the migration batch. The batch comprises the Gmail mailboxes that we have mentioned in the previous step (Step 4: Connect Office 365 to Gmail).
- In the Microsoft 365 admin center, select the Exchange under Admin centers.
- Here you need to visit Recipients >> Migration.
- Now tap on the New button, then tap on the Migrate to Exchange Online.
- Choose IMAP migration, then tap on the Next button.
- On this page, click Browse and then select the CSV file previously created for migration and hit the Next button.
- After login, Office 365 displays the Gmail mailboxes for migration, and click the Next button.
- Select the migration endpoint that you created in the previous step and click Next on the Set the migration endpoint screen.
- Here all default values remain the same on the IMAP migration configuration screen and move on to the Next page.
- On the Move settings page, provide the migration batch’s name and the excluded folders’ names. To include them in the excluded list, click the Add (+) icon.
- Provide the required selections on the Start the batch page to begin the migration of Gmail to Office 365.
Step 6: Update DNS Records For Migrating Directly to Microsoft 365
Email systems utilize MX records to decide where to deliver emails. Your MX record pointed to your Gmail system during the whole email transmission process. After completing the Gmail to Office 365 migration, it is time to point your MX record to Microsoft 365. Follow the below-mentioned steps to complete the process:
- Sign in to Office 365 with an administrator account.
- From the process configuration, click on Settings >> Domains.
- After your domain has been established, the display will provide two options. These options are to add my records, or I’ll handle my own DNS records.
- Here you need to select; I’ll manage my own DNS records and add MX entries to your DNS.
Drawbacks of the Manual steps to Email Migration from Gmail to Office 365
These are some disadvantages of the traditional method steps, and we will mention them in the below section:
- Manual steps are more complicated and require technical expertise.
- It is a highly time-consuming process.
- There are higher chances of data loss.
- Required high-speed internet connectivity.
Professional Way to Migrate Email from Gmail to Office 365
If you have tried the manual method, then you faced difficulties in the implementation of the manual steps. As you can see in the above section, there are many drawbacks. You can try the Cigati Gmail to Office 365 migration tool to overcome all the drawbacks and get a secure result. It is the most secure and reliable tool to migrate Gmail to Office 365. Also, this Software comes with a simple user interface. Therefore, everyone can easily use this tool whether they have the proper technical knowledge or not. This advanced Software works on the advanced technology that helps to provide error-free results. There are many advanced features that users can use while migrate Google mail to Office 365.
Most Highlighted Features of Gmail to Office 365 Migration Software
- It allows users to migrate selected Gmail Emails into Office 365 accounts.
- Users can easily remove duplicate mail items from the conversion process.
- This advanced tool maintains the folder hierarchy after Gmail to 365 migration process.
- You have an option to skip previously migrated items and migrate emails without attachment files.
- Gmail to Office 365 Migration Tool provides an option of a date range filter for migration.
- This Software is more compatible with Windows 11 and all the below versions.
Here, we have explained the complex and time-consuming manual steps to migrate Gmail to Office 365. If you do not have technical expertise, it will be tough to apply the manual way to migrate from Gmail to Office 365. Then, we advise using the Gmail to Office 365 migration tool to overcome all the drawbacks and get quick and secure output. This Software works on the latest technology.