In this article, we will explain the best possible ways of data conversion from MBOX to Office 365. Users can adopt the best suitable method between both manual and professional methods. Also, we will talk about the several points that are useful to import MBOX to Office 365.
Many users use the MBOX file format all around the world because multiple email clients support MBOX file formats such as Apple Mail, Opera Mail, Thunderbird, Eudora, Spicebird, etc. Usually, the MBOX file contains a huge amount of mail data in one single file.
On the other hand, Microsoft Office 365 provides the facilities to its users to access the data from anywhere, better security, high storage capacity, automatic products update, low data loss risks, no required external application, cloud-based workspace, etc. attracts many users. Before going on to the solution, we will discuss the advantages of import MBOX to Office 365.
Benefits or Advantages of Migration Office 365 From MBOX
There are many reasons or benefits to import MBOX to Outlook Office 365.
- Microsoft Office 365 security is very high as compared to the MBOX file formats.
- Office 365 contains all personal information like emails, tasks, events, contacts, calendars, and journals.
- Accessibility is easy in Office 365 as compared to other services.
- Office 365 provides to users large storage and Sharing Capabilities.
We have discussed some benefits through the above points that force users to upload MBOX to Office 365.
Best Ways to Import MBOX to Office 365?
We will explain the methods that help to import emails into Outlook 365. As there are no direct solutions to perform manually. Firstly, You need to migrate your MBOX file into Outlook PST format and then convert PST to Office 365. Additionally, we will provide the direct solution to import MBOX file to Office 365.
- Migrate MBOX to Office 365 by Manual Method
Step 1: Migrate Thunderbird (MBOX) to Outlook (PST)
Step 2: Then, Outlook PST to Microsoft Office 365
2. Import MBOX to Microsoft 365 by Direct Method
Manual Method to Migrating MBOX to Office 365
We have split this traditional method into two parts. Firstly, we convert MBOX files into PST file format, and then we convert them into Office 365.
Step 1: Migrate Thunderbird (MBOX) to Outlook (PST)
- Start the Mozilla Thunderbird application in your system.
- Then, click on the Desired Mailbox Folder that you want to migrate. Now, select all emails from that folder, and Right-click on the mouse.
- Choose the option Save As option.
- Select the Location to save all these emails in EML file format.
- After that, start the Microsoft Outlook application on the same system.
- You need to Create a New Folder in the PST mailbox by right-clicking on the mailbox folder, after creating click on the Ok button.
- Now, choose that Folder containing the EML format, then Move the EML format file into the newly created folder.
- Here, EML files are now pasted to the Outlook PST folder location.
Here, the first step is to import MBOX to Office 365. Now, you need to understand some conditions that are very important before continuing the next step.
Pre-Requirement to Transfer Outlook to Office 365
If you want to migrate the data from Outlook to Office 365. Then first users must need to fulfill all the pre-requirements for this stage.
- Users must be assigned a Mailbox Import Export Role in Exchange Online.
- You need to store PST files on a network shared folder or file server.
- Also, the Microsoft Azure AzCopy tool must be installed in your system.
- Users need to be assigned global administrator rights.
- It is not perfect for transferring large volumes of data.
Step 2: Convert Outlook PST to Office 365
This step is very crucial to import emails into Outlook 365. So, follow every step in the same sequence to import MBOX to Office 365.
- Sign in to your Microsoft 365 account, and move on to Microsoft 365 Admin Center.
- Then, click on the Security & Compliance Center and then tap on the Data Governance and then Import.
- After that, tap on the New import job and create a new job. And, click on the Next button.
- Here. select the Upload your data option and click on Next button.
- On the Import data dialogue box, Here, we generate the SAS URL.
- Firstly, Visit protection.office.com
- You need to select the Import option in information governance.
- Now, tap on Import PST Files and click on the New Import job button.
- Here, start uploading your data and choose Next.
- After that, hit on the Show the network upload SAS URL.
- Finally, copy the SAS URL and Save It on Notepad.
- After that, Download, Install then launch the Azure AzCopy on your system and import MBOX to Office 365 from the Microsoft website.
- Then, create a PST Import Mapping file.
- Here generate the PST file.
- Now, you need to create a CSV file to map the PST into the mailbox account.
- Open the Import data tab and after that on both options. Then, click on the Next button.
- In the Mapping File option, select the Upload CSV file.
- In the end, tap on the Validate icon and select the Save button.
In the above segment, we have discussed the manual approach to import MBOX to Office 365. This process is highly complicated and many more disadvantages of this approach. In the later part, we will discuss the limitations of this method.
Why does the User need to Avoid Manual Approach?
There are many potential reasons to avoid the above method to import MBOX file to Office 365 that we will mention in the below points:
- You cannot directly import MBOX to Office 365.
- The manual method is highly complicated.
- Required high technical knowledge to perform this method.
- It is a highly time-consuming method.
- This method does not provide data security.
These are the multiple drawbacks of this traditional approach. If you use this method to upload MBOX to Office 365 then you cannot get the output as per your expectations. If you want to overcome all the drawbacks then you can follow the upcoming segment that helps you to import MBOX to Office 365 within one step.
Direct Method to Migrate MBOX to Office 365
This is a professional method to export your MBOX files directly into Office 365. It is a safe and secure method to implement. We will recommend the Cigati MBOX to Office 365 Migration Tool to import MBOX to Outlook Office 365. Moreover, you can also use the tool to convert MBOX files to live exchange.
This tool has many advanced functions that work with the latest technology. As per requirement user can select the various options:
- Users can select Multiple MBOX Files at a time.
- Convert MBOX to PST, PDF, EML, MSG, etc.
- Option available to Remove Duplicate Emails.
- Mail Filter option available to select time period and mail.
- Users can also see the preview Option to view the MBOX files before the actual migration procedure.
In the above segments, we have explained the manual and professional methods to import MBOX to Office 365. The manual way has many drawbacks. So, it is not a good practice to implement. New users cannot implement this method. To overcome all the drawbacks, we suggest MBOX to Office 365 migrator that is a direct method. It is the most secure and reliable tool to use. Due to its simple user interface, everyone can easily use this tool.