If you are working in an organization, there are a large no. of emails you send or receive throughout the day. These emails contain the most essential data that are very useful for official use. Therefore, you need to store the whole data in a personal file. This process can be done through export Office 365 mailbox to PST.
If you successfully export a mailbox from Office 365 to PST then you can easily access the data, when internet connectivity is slow. It is also helpful for future data that can be used as a backup if any error occurs in the future.
If you want to export PST from Office 365 webmail then you can do it with a manual approach or automated approaches. Before moving on to the methods or techniques, firstly, you need to understand the causes to upload PST to Office 365.
Reasons to Export Office 365 Mailbox to PST
There are some important reasons to export mailbox to Office 365 to PST. We will mention the below section:
- If you need to use the Office 365 data for an official purpose and audit purpose.
- You want to get a backup of Office 365 data for a longer period of time.
- Secure your data from accidental errors and hacking.
- You can reduce the Office 365 mailbox size after getting a backup.
- After Office 365 exports mailbox to PST, users can access the data with low internet connectivity.
These are all possible reasons to Office 365 export mailbox to PST. To keep data safe, you can also save Office 365 emails to hard drive. Now, we are moving on to the solutions. Firstly, we will discuss the manual approach, then we will provide the automated solution to get fast and error-free results.
Export Office 365 Mailbox to PST Using Discovery Method
This is the traditional approach to getting a backup of Office 365 into the PST file. It is an integrated feature into the Office 365 under the security and compliance center. This method has a large process but for your better understanding, we divide this approach into three parts.
- Firstly, assign the eDiscovery permission and check for the Export role.
- Create and Run a new Content Search.
- At last, export Office 365 mailbox to PST using eDiscovery.
Step 1: Assign the eDiscovery Permission and Check for the Export Role
- Sign in to the Office 365 account, and choose the Admin option.
- Now, click on the Compliance option from the Admin Centers
- Tap on the Permissions options, and then you need to select Roles.
- Then, search the eDiscovery Manager, and choose the box beside it.
- Here the eDiscovery Manager Wizard opens. And, click on the Edit Role to assign roles.
- Usually, this Role Group is assigned from the below mention list.
- If your Export Role is not assigned, then again tap on Edit Role Group and Add Export Role from the choose Roles option.
It is the first stage to export Office 365 mailbox to PST. Now, we will discuss the next stage where you can learn how to create the new content search option.
Step 2: Create and Run a New Content Search
- Now, Visit the Microsoft 365 Compliance Center and select the Content Search option from the Solutions Category.
- Now, a new tab will open, click on the New Search option.
- Here, fill the information like Name and Description to create a new search query, and click on the Next option.
- In the next tab, turn on the status of Exchange Mailboxes and tap on the Next button.
- You can fill the next section according to your requirements, press the Next button.
- After that, you can review your details that are filled before this step. If you want to edit any field then edit the information. After that, click on the Submit button.
- Here you have created a new search option successfully. Click on the Done button to finish this process.
Now, the second stage is completed and it is a very crucial stage. Furthermore, we move on to the final stage, where you will learn how to execute this step to export from Office 365 mailbox to PST using the eDiscovery method.
Step 3: Export Office 365 Mailbox to PST Using eDiscovery
- Firstly, choose the Content Search that you created in the above process.
- Here, you can see the summary, where you will find the search is completed under the Status panel.
- Now, tap on the Action button and select the Export result.
- In the Export Result wizard, choose the Output and Export Exchange Content as options.
- After that, click on the Export button for further process.
- A new job has been created. Press the Ok button.
- Then, open the Content Search panel to choose the Export option and tap on the Content Search that you have created.
- Here, you can hit the Download Result option.
- You can Copy the Export Key to the clipboard and then Install the Microsoft Office Export Tool.
- Paste the Export Key and choose the location where you want to store resultant PST files. Now click on the Start button.
- At last, a wizard opens where you can display the successful completion of the whole process.
It is the whole process to export Office 365 mailbox to PST using the eDiscovery method. This method has many drawbacks. So, users cannot get the best result from this method.
Drawbacks of the eDiscovery Approach
There are some limitations of the above-discussed method. That, we will mention in the below section:
- It is a very lengthy process. So, new users fail to adopt this method.
- This is a highly time-consuming process to perform.
- In this method, the user does not allow a selective export option for the data items.
- Export PST from Office 365 admin center is possible here if the user is highly technically strong.
These are some limitations of the manual approach. If you want to overcome all the drawbacks then you can follow the next segment for the best alternative to import PST to Office 365.
The Direct Way to Office 365 Export Mailbox to PST
If you tried the above-explained method and that is not working properly or you think that is a lengthy process. Then, you are at the right place. If you want to get the result in one steps method and want to get error-free output. Then, You can try the Cigati Office 365 Backup Tool to export PST from Office 365. It is the most secure and reliable software for Office 365 backup. By using this tool, you can get the backup directly from Office 365 to the PST file format. Also, you can convert into other files formats like PST, MBOX, EMLX, DOC, JPG, PNG, etc. Everyone can easily use this tool because its user interface is very easy.
We have explained the both way manual approach and the direct method to export Office 365 Mailbox To PST file format. Manual methods have many drawbacks and their process is very complicated and lengthy. Non-technical users cannot perform the task with the manual method. Therefore, we will suggest one of the best alternative tools that give an error-free result with simple steps. Because this tool works on advanced technology. Therefore the advanced Office 365 backup tool is the best way to provide Office 365 backup solution securely.