How to Convert OST to PST File Manually?
Summary: With this blog, we will discuss the step-by-step procedure to convert OST to PST file manually. So, before jumping onto how to convert OST to Outlook PST File manually we should know what is OST file and PST file are.
PST stands for “Personal Storage Tables” which are used to store the data in the form of a Personal Folder. A personal folder file is an Outlook data file which consists of email messages and other items.
OST stands for “Offline Storage Tables” which basically helps you to work offline and as soon as your system comes in contact with the internet it synchronizes the data.
Now let’s see the various reasons to convert OST to PST file format.
Reasons to convert OST file to PST in Outlook 2007
Various reasons to convert the OST file into PST are:-
1. Synchronization Issues with Exchange Server –
This problem arises only when there is an interruption during the Synchronisation process of the OST file with the Exchange Server.
2. Corruption of OST File –
Corruption of OST files is the most common issue and OST files get corrupted due to various reasons such as virus attack, power failure during OST to Server Synchronisation.
3. OST file size limit –
OST file size limit varies for different versions of ms-outlook for Outlook 2007 is 20GB whereas in Outlook 2010 and 2013 it is increased to 50GB.
Methods to Convert OST to Outlook PST File
Various methods to convert the OST file to PST are:-
- Manual Methods.
- Software Solution.
1. Convert OST to PST File Manually
1. By Using Import/Export Wizard
It is the most effective technique for exporting the ost file to pst but the biggest drawback about this technique is that it only exports the content part of the email. So, therefore go for this technique only when you have to Export the emails only
- Open MS Outlook on your system.
- In the “File” tab; select the “Import/Export” option.
- Tap on the “Export to a File” option. Click on the “Next” button.
- After that, choose the “Personal Folder File (.pst)” option and hit the “Next” button.
- Click on the “Inbox” option, and check for the “Include Subfolders” option. Tap the “Next” button.
- Describe a particular name and location to your resultant file with the “Browse” button.
- At last, click on the “Finish” tab.
2. Archiving –
Archiving is an important task that helps us to check the size of the data. So, it is always best to set an auto-archive option.
- Launch, Outlook on your system.
- Go to File click Archive Options.
- Choose the file/folder to archive.
- Locate the location to save the archived file.
- Hit on the Finish button.
3. Software Solution to Convert OST to Outlook PST File
If all these manual tricks do not work then the only option that remains is to use a good and reliable professional solution. One of the applications that I have used earlier is Cigati OST to PST Converter. This tool is used to export multiple offline OST files to Outlook PST files. In case your ost file data is corrupted, you can still export them into the desired format such as PST, DBX, and EML.
As you have seen the different methods to convert OST to PST file manually. So, being an expert, I would recommend you to try the free demo version of this software as it will help you to evaluate the complete software and all its features. Along with the various file formats, this tool you can import OST to Office 365, Gmail, Yahoo Mail, Thunderbird, Live Exchange, etc email clients with no interruption.