As you know, for every desktop-based email client like Mozilla Thunderbird, keeping backup is very important for us. So, we will discuss the best method to backup Mozilla Thunderbird emails to hard drive using manual techniques and professional solutions.
Mozilla Thunderbird is a very popular desktop-based email client. It contains all personal data like address books, messages, and configuration settings in a separate folder. Also, it stores one or more accounts for RSS, mail, news, etc. As desktop email clients always have limitations like attachment size, limited folder size, and the number of accounts. In this case, the account reached the maximum storage limits, and email communication will stop.
Now, you can backup Thunderbird emails to external hard drive and can continue the chat on Mozilla Thunderbird. Let’s discuss some causes to backup Mozilla Thunderbird emails to hard drive.
Potential Causes to Export Thunderbird Emails to Hard Drive
There are some reasons to backup Thunderbird emails locally. We will mention the following points.
- After getting the backup, the mailbox sizes are reduced.
- Prevent the data from data theft and data loss in accidental situations.
- Protect your Mozilla Thunderbird emails from corruption.
- After backup, you can easily store the data at multiple locations.
- Thunderbird is an open-source email client. There are no regular upgrades or technical support to help the users.
These are some reasons to download Thunderbird emails to external hard drive. Let’s discuss different methods to backup Mozilla Thunderbird emails to hard drive. Additionally, you can save thunderbird email as PDF Files through this informational write-up.
Top 2 Methods to Backup Thunderbird Emails Locally
If you want to store Thunderbird emails to external hard drive, we will suggest two methods that are secure and reliable. Firstly, we will discuss the manual approach, and another one is the professional method. Now, start the process of the manual method in the next section.
Method 1: Save Thunderbird Emails to External Hard Drive Using Add-on
As you know, Mozilla Thunderbird does not provide the inbuilt option to export emails directly to external hard drive. Here, you need to install the add-ons tool in your Mozilla Thunderbird to export emails to external formats. This tool will help you save emails into external formats like EML, HTML, Plain Text, Spreadsheet, PDF, etc. For better understanding, you divide this method into two steps. Now, we will discuss both steps to backup Mozilla Thunderbird emails to hard drive.
Also Read: Backup Apple Mail to Hard Drive
Steps 1: Install Add-on option in Mozilla Thunderbird
There are some simple steps that you need to apply in the same sequence to install the Add-on option.
- Open the Mozilla Thunderbird on your device.
- Then, click on the Display the Thunderbird Menu (Three lines) icon, which is available at the top-right corner of the screen.
- Now, tap on the Add-ons option. Then, tap on the Add-ons option from the drop-down menu.
- After that the new Add-ons Manager window opened in which select the Get Add-ons button.
- Here, select the ImportExportTools add-on option.
- Now, tap on the Browse all add-ons button and then search for ImportExportTools add-on.
- The Next window is opened, tap on the Add to Thunderbird button.
- After that, click on the Install button to Install Add on option.
- Here, you have installed the add-on to your Thunderbird.
- Now, you move back to the Add-ons Manager window and hit the Restart button to complete the process.
Step 2: Use Add-on Feature to Backup Mozilla Thunderbird Emails to Hard Drive
There are many other steps that you can apply after you have installed the Add-on option in Mozilla Thunderbird. Let’s move on to the steps.
- Relaunch the Thunderbird in the regular mode, if it restarts in Safe Mode.
- Then, select the ImportExportTools Add-on option and Export all the messages in the folder.
- Now, select the EML format from the Context Menu of the Inbox.
Note: Select the EML file type to Import your Backup into Thunderbird on a New System. On the other hand, if you want to save the emails with their original formatting and attachments, then you need to choose HTML format.
- Select the Desired path for saving backup files.
- At last, you can check all saved files in the destination folder.
We have discussed the manual process in two steps for your better understanding. But this method has some limitations that it makes more difficult for new users. So to know all the disadvantages of this method you can follow the next section.
Why Do Users Need to Avoid Manual Methods?
There are some drawbacks for applying the traditional technique to backup Mozilla Thunderbird emails to hard drive.
- The manual method is a highly time-taking Process.
- Required technical knowledge to implement all the steps.
- Multiple steps create confusion for the users.
- If you use the manual approach, you cannot take backup on PST, MSG, PDF (with attachments), etc.
We have discussed some drawbacks of the manual approach. To overcome all the drawbacks and get an error-free result, you need to follow the next method to download Thunderbird emails to external hard drive.
Method 2: Professional Tool to Backup Thunderbird Emails to External Hard Drive
If you tried the above-discussed approach to copy Thunderbird emails to external hard drive, the manual method does not work for you then, we will suggest the most secured Thunderbird Backup Tool to backup Mozilla Thunderbird emails to hard drive. This tool works with the latest technology that helps in providing safe and secure output. You can save your Thunderbird Emails backup into various formats like PDF, MSG, PST, MBOX, EML, CSV, EMLX, HTML, etc. It is the most secure and reliable tool to save Thunderbird emails to external hard drive. Adittionally, you can save your data Import Thunderbird email to Gmail and other email clients like AOL, HostGator Mail, Zoho Mail, Yandex Mail, Amazon Webmail, etc.
In this article, you have learned about simple and secure methods to copy backup Thunderbird emails to external hard drive. We have explained the manual approach within two steps, but it has many drawbacks. If you use the manual method, you cannot match your result with your expectations. So to overcome all the limitations and get better results, you can use the professional tool to backup Mozilla Thunderbird emails to hard drive.