User query- “I recently brought up a new system and was trying to add Gmail to Outlook. But unfortunately, I was unable to establish a connection. I have tried out many approaches, but they didn’t work out as they were expected. Can anyone guide me in this and explain how to configure Gmail in Outlook?”
This article will discuss the simple ways to add Gmail into MS Outlook. To know more about it, check out this article. If the user is thinking about using Outlook with Gmail. Then, here you will know the approach to fix it. Both Gmail and Outlook are different emailing services that work under different servers to send, receive, and save data. There are some instructions that one has to follow for setting up a Gmail account with Outlook. If Outlook is frequently asking you to enter correct credentials & is randomly popping up. Then, it means there is some issue that needs to be solved. Usually, this error arises if the basic authentication for a Gmail account is disabled. Thus, users have to find out the reason why they have problems while setup Gmail in Outlook.
Also Read: How to recover deleted folder in Outlook
But before proceeding towards this process, Users must enable POP/IMAP in the Gmail account prior to directly setting Gmail in Outlook.
Turn-on the option POP/IMAP in Gmail
To enable the POP/IMAP users must perform these steps-
1. First, log in to your Gmail account by providing the credentials. From the top right of the window, tap on a small gear button, and choose the option “Settings”.
2. Then, visit the Forwarding and POP/IMAP tab, here, the Status of POP/IMAP is disabled. Now, enable the IMAP. When it is done, tap on Save Changes.
Manual Procedure to Configure Gmail in Outlook
The only condition for operating this setup for users is to have an Outlook account. In case you don’t have a profile, then generate it. To perform setting for Gmail in Outlook, users must use these steps –
- First, start the MS Outlook program on the Windows system.
- After that, tap on the File tab located in the Outlook blue ribbon> Info.
- Under the Account Information page, tap on Add Account.
- To create the Gmail profile, tap on the Email Account radio button. Users require to enter the profile credentials like E-mail address and password in the corresponding boxes.
- Choose the radio button corresponding to Manual setup or additional server types if the user gets an error or is unable to connect to the account. And, tap Next to proceed further.
- Now, open a new dialog box “Add Account” on the Outlook main screen. In this, there are three options named as Microsoft Exchange Server, Outlook.com, POP, or IMAP. Select the radio button corresponding to the POP or IMAP option and then tap on Next.
- Provide your Gmail Account Information under the POP and IMAP Account Settings heading. Also, provide the following details in the boxes:
Also Read: Migrate Gmail to Zimbra
Account Type: IMAP
Incoming mail server: imap.gmail.com
Outgoing mail server (SMTP): smtp.gmail.com
Now, tap on the More Settings.
- Hit on the Outgoing Server tab and select the following options:
My Outgoing Server(SMTP) requires authentication.
Apply the same settings as my incoming mail server.
Tap on OK.
- Hit on Advanced and examine the following details:
Incoming server (IMAP): 993 or 143
Outgoing server (SMTP): 52 or 465
Encrypted Connection for IMAP: SSL
Encrypted Connection for SMTP: TLS
- Tap OK >> Finish button.
- And now your Gmail account is added in Outlook.
- Check if the account is properly configured or not.
In this way, one can add Gmail to Outlook. If a user wants to avoid this error, then apply some setting from Gmail that blocks the application and interrupts it in accessing the Gmail mailbox. At present, Outlook does not support OAuth and 2-Step Verification. Users can opt for the use of App-Specific Passwords to setup Gmail in Outlook.
How to apply option Enable App-Specific Password Feature from Gmail?
To perform this method i.e configure Gmail in Outlook, users can use this by following steps-
- Initially from the browser, log in to the Gmail Account.
2. Now, tap on the account picture and choose Google Account.
3. Press on the link “Apps with account access” located in the “Sign-in and Security section”.
4. Now, scroll down to view the option “Allow less secure apps”, Enable it.
5. After that, turn-on/Enable “2-Step Verification” (user can verify their phone number through SMS/phone call);
6. Then, press on the App passwords. Users have to create a new password for their Gmail connection with Outlook.
7. Press on the Generate button from the Select app and device type. Then, Google will create a new app password for you.
8. Users are required to use this password rather than your Google account password while connecting to Gmail in Outlook.
9. As soon as it is done, visit Outlook and make attempts to connect with the newly created password.
If the users set up everything correctly, then the test task for confirming the Gmail connection will complete. Once the process is completed, then Outlook cannot connect to Gmail account problems.
So, these were some of the tips that will help the users to set up Gmail in Outlook. But, if they are unsure about performing the method and fear data loss. Then, no worries as there are third-party solutions that will help the user in fixing this process. And it all will happen within a small amount of time.
Users can also go for a Gmail Backup tool. Through this tool, users can export Gmail data to other email clients like Yahoo, Outlook, Thunderbird, etc. This tool also provides the opportunity to save Gmail email as PDF, PST, MBOX, EML, MSG, HTML, etc. file formats. The utility also allows its users to save the first 50 emails online. Moreover, it permits users to use and try its free version.
From this guide, users now know the procedure to add Gmail to Outlook. We have discussed different approaches in this article. Now you can opt for any of these approaches as per their requirement but it always helps you to go with the professional approach.